What has happened to Constitutional conservatism? Shouldn’t our world revolve around circumventing the law? What happened to due process? What has happened to freedom of religion, speech and property?
Since he announced his candidacy, Trump has:
- threatened to ignore those who are carping about free speech and shut down parts of the Internet;
- he has promised to summarily deport those who are suspected of being illegal immigrants, without due process of law;
- he has endorsed extensive campaign-finance regulations that fly directly in the face of the First Amendment;
- he has vowed to restrict the Second Amendment rights of those on the terror watch list, again without due process;
- he has praised Franklin Roosevelt’s internment of American citizens, suggested that natural-born Americans can be deported against their will, and proposed that American Muslims be barred from reentering the country;
- he has described as “wonderful” a Supreme Court ruling that obliterated the “public use” limitations on the invocation of eminent domain; and he has refused to rule out registering Americans on the basis of their faith.
- Worse still, he has responded to the criticism that these positions have generated by channeling his inner Nancy Pelosi: “Are you serious?”