I am happy. Jesus promises me that I will be.
True happiness derives from a secure and settled knowledge of God and a rejoicing in his works and covenant faithfulness. God rejoices over his faithful people.
The word is μακάριος — makarios. It is usually translated as “blessed”. It is generally understood to mean happy in English. I’m going with that.
In the Jesus Manifesto (Matthew 5 – 7), he gives us a whole series of happiness prescriptions. They are powerful. From Matthew 5. Jesus starts the manifesto out with this.
- “Happy are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
- “Happy are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”
- “Happy are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.”
- “Happy are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.”
- “Happy are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.”
- “Happy are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”
- “Happy are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.”
- “Happy are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
- “Happy are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”
Happiness — It is for those who trust in God
- Psalm 84:12 — O Master of hosts, How happy is the man who trusts in You!
- Psalm 2:12 — Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way, For His wrath may soon be kindled. How happy are all who take refuge in Him!
- Psalm 34:8 — O taste and see that the Master is good; How happy is the man who takes refuge in Him!
- Psalm 40:4 — How happy is the man who has made the Master his trust, And has not turned to the proud, nor to those who lapse into falsehood.
- Psalm 146:5 — How happy is he whose help is the God of Jacob, Whose hope is in the Master his God,
- Proverbs 16:20 — He who gives attention to the word will find good, And happy is he who trusts in the Master.
- Jeremiah 17:7 — “Happy is the man who trusts in the Master And whose trust is the Master.”
- Luke 1:45 — “And happy is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Master.”
- John 20:29 — Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Happy are they who did not see, and yet believed.”
- Galatians 3:9 — So then those who are of faith are happy with Abraham, the believer.